Video of the Week
How To Stay Connected
Want to stay in the loop? Text 'BAMARUF' to 41411 and receive text message announcements from RUF@Alabama.
Fall Series, 2013
Our series this fall is "Christianity in Conversation: 13 dialogues with Jesus." We are looking at the essentials of the Christian faith through various conversations Jesus has with people in the book of John. First RUF is Wednesday, Aug. 21 in Shelby, rm. 1004.
Week 1-Jesus and the first disciples (John 1:35-42)
Week 2-Jesus and the "irreligious nobody." (John 4)
Week 3-Jesus and the "religious somebody." (John 3)
Week 4-Jesus and "the sinner." (Luke 7:36-50)
Week 5-Jesus and the "Do Gooder." (Luke 10:38-42)
Week 6-Jesus and "do-overs." (John 8:2-12)
Week 7-Jesus, the Bread of Life (John 6)
Week 8-Jesus, the Good Shepherd (John 10)
Week 9-Jesus, the Resurrection and Life (John 11:1-44)
Week 10-Jesus, the Way, Truth, and Life (John 14)
Week 11-Jesus, the Vine (John 15)
Week 12-Jesus and a "Post-modern politician" (John 18:33-38)
Week 13-Jesus and a "doubter." (John 20:24-29)
*No RUF Wednesday, Oct. 30-UA Fall Break
What Else is Happening at RUF?
New Small Group Topics for Fall
- Large Group Discussion: Mary Kim Herndon and James New will be leading a small group on Tuesdays at 3:30 pm on the 3rd floor of the Ferg. They will be discussing the weekly sermons from Large Group.
- Screwtape Letters: Abby and Jake Howell will be leading a small group on Tuesday nights at 8:30 pm on The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (read aloud and discuss afterwards).
- Just Girls: Anna Sedlak will be hosting a small group on Thursdays in the Ferg Starbucks discussing weekly Large Group sermons (girls only).
- Big Egos and Large Dreams: Virginia Wesson is leading a sophomore (girls only) small group on Fridays at 2:00 pm at 18A Parkview Drive.
- Seniors+ Only: Ryan Moore is leading a small group for seniors and up on the wisdom of Proverbs and discussing "life after college."
- Just Do Something: Joseph Creel and Brittany Johnson will be leading a co-ed small group on the book Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung on Tuesday nights at 8 pm at The Woodlands, Unit #1721. (1100 Hargrove Rd East). Contact Brittany for more information: (205) 563-0268
- Just Doods: Nathan Miklovic and Scott Burdick will be leading a small group on Fridays at 2 pm in the east dining hall of the Ferg. They will be going through Isaiah. Doods of all ages are welcome. Contact Nathan for more information: (419) 371-1032
Aug. 19 (Monday) Freshmen Girls lunch at the Shamblins (4 The Highlands, 35404) at 12p.
Aug. 20 (Tuesday) Guys Freshmen lunch at Full Moon, 11:30a-1p.
Aug. 21 (Wednesday) First RUF in Shelby 1004, 8:30p.
Aug. 23 (Friday) Dinner at Mugshots. 6p.
Aug. 25 Sunday Night Fellowship (first of the year) at The Lucy home (33 ridgeland dr., 35406)
Aug. 26 (Mon.) Small groups begin-Freshmen Fellowship, Sophomore Study, etc.
Aug. 27 (Tues.) 'Welcome Back' Cookout at the River Walk (Manderson Landing where Hackberry Ln. dumps into Jack Warner just behind Riverside), 6p.
Aug. 28 (Wed.) RUF large group at Shelby 1004, 8:30p
Sept. 13-15 Fall Retreat at Camp Toknowhim Speaker, Rev. Ashley Dusenbery from Grace Prez, Ft. Payne, AL. This will be a great, fun, relaxing weekend.
What Is RUF Summer Conference?
College Ministry at Alabama by Rev. Ryan Moore
Weekly Small Groups
- Freshmen Fellowship (Freshmen only): A must for freshmen. Meets Monday’s at 4:30 pm in the Ferg. rm. 309. We will then eat dinner together at 5:30 pm in the ferg. First mtg is Monday, Aug. 26. Keyword: 'FRESHRUF'
- Sophomore Fellowship Group: Meets Monday's at 6:30p in the Ferg., 3rd floor. First meeting is Monday, Aug. 26. Keyword: 'SOPHRUF.'
- Greek Bible Studies (Frat. and Sorority): We have several Bible studies going on in fraternities and sororities on campus. Since most are usually targeted to particular houses, if you are interested in either starting a Bible study in your fraternity/sorority please contact Ryan. We would love to either help you start one or meet with you and disciple you through that process.
Fellowship Groups (jr. and sr.) (FG): These small groups are some of the ‘bread and butter’ of college ministry. Led by interns and students, they will take the text/sermon talked about on Wednesdays at RUF and discuss it further for the purpose of growing in knowledge and understanding of the scriptures, finding practical application for our daily lives, and developing relationships. There are two guys and girls fellowship groups offered during the week in order to accommodate the busyness of college life. Pick the one that fits your schedule. Both guys and girls FG will be discussing the same questions.
- All Girls FG: TBA; updates coming.
- Guys and Girls FG: TBA; updates coming.
International Student Ministry: Once a month starting in February on Thursday, in the Ferg, 6-8p. Come serve and welcome internationals to Alabama, practice English and enjoy some food. Contact Ryan Moore if interested in helping us serve international students at Alabama. email@example.com
- BBQ Tour (Guys only): Thursdays at 6:30pm. Contact Blake Stephenson (256.656.8652) Starting date Aug. 28.
- ‘Dinner at the Moore’s’: Tuesdays at 7 pm at 3619 13th St. E., 35404. sign up sheets at Large Group. Starting date TBA
- Sunday Night Fellowship: Sunday’s, Pizza, prayer. At the Lucy’s (33 Ridgeland, 35406), 7-9 pm. Starts Aug. 25.
- Prayer and Coffee: Every Friday morning at 9 am in the ferg., rm 358 (third floor). Come pray with us for the needs of the community. Starting date Aug. 23.
- Sports/Intramurals: TBA
Retreats, Fall 2013
- Fall Conference: Fri. Sept. 13-15th at Camp Toknowhim in Pisgah, AL. The speaker will be Rev. Ashley Dusenbery from Grace Prez, Ft. Payne, AL
“The gospel is not something partial or piecemeal: it takes in the whole life, the whole of history, the whole world. It tells us about the creation and the final judgment and everything in between. It is a complete, whole view of life, and many are unhappy in the Christian life because they have never realized that this way of life caters for the whole of man’s life and covers every eventuality in his experience. There is no aspect of life but that the gospel has something to say about it. The whole of life must come under its influence because it is all-inclusive; the gospel is meant to control and govern everything in our lives.”
-D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Spiritual Depression
Join our Facebook page! Click here: RUF@Alabama
Where does RUF meet on Wednesdays?
Shelby 1004 (Note: room change due to tuesday night class schedule) Map